Stahl Stenslie works as an artist, curator and researcher specializing in experimental media art and interaction experiences. His aesthetic focus is on art and artistic expressions that challenge ordinary ways of perceiving the world. Through his practice he asks the questions we tend to avoid – or where the answers lie in the shadows of existence. Keywords of his practice are somaesthetics, unstable media, transgression and numinousness. The technological focus in his works is on the art of the recently possible – such as i) panhaptic communication on Smartphones, ii) somatic and immersive soundspaces, and iii) design of functional and lethal artguns, 3D printed in low-cost plastic material.
He has a PhD on Touch and Technologies from The School of Architecture and Design, Oslo, Norway. Currently he is teaching and researching as a professor in Art & Technology (opplevelsesteknologi) at Aalborg University, Denmark.
He has been exhibiting and lecturing at major international events (ISEA, DEAF, Ars Electronica, SIGGRAPH). He represented Norway at the 5th biennial in Istanbul, Turkey, co-organized 6cyberconf and won the Grand Prize of the Norwegian Council for Cultural Affairs. He has moderated various symposiums like Ars Electronica (Next Sex), ArcArt and Oslo Lux (2013).
2010 PhD, Virtual Touch, The School of Architecture and Design, Oslo, Norway
2005 – 2006 Dekanskolen, Universitets og Høgskolerådet, Diploma
1992 – 1994 Academy of Media Arts, Cologne, Germany, Masters in Audio-Visual Media
1991 – 1992 The Düsseldorf Art Academy, Düsseldorf, Germany. Meisterschüler
1988 – 1992 Statens Kunstakademi (National Academy of Visual Arts), Oslo, Norway, Diploma
1987 – 1988 SHKS, The Norwegian Arts and Crafts school, Oslo, Norway
1986 – 1987 “Grunnfag” in Psychology, University of Oslo, Norway
1985 – 1986 “Mellomfag” in Philosophy, University of Oslo, Norway
1983 – 1985 Lester B. Pearson College, United World College, B.C., Canada, International Baccalaureate
2015 – Director of PNEK (Production Network for Electronic Arts), Oslo, Norway.
2012 – Professor (Full), Art & Technology, Aalborg University, Denmark
2010 – Course director in i) Tangible Interactions (2011) and ii) Interactive Spaces and Environments, The School of Architecture and Design, Oslo, Norway
2007 – 2010 Professor, Oslo National Academy of the Arts
2005 – 2007 Dean, Faculty of Visual Arts, Oslo National Academy of the Arts
2003 – 2005 Head of Exhibitions, Riksutstillinger (National Touring Exhibitions Norway)
2002 – 2003 Artistic advisor for The Nobel Peace Center, Oslo, Norway
2001 – 2005 Professor (C4/senior) at The Academy of Media Arts, Cologne, Germany
1995 – 2001 Scientific researcher at Norwegian Telecom (Telenor) Research Institute at Kjeller, Norway. Head of the design at TeleVR group until 1997. Project leader of the project “Content of the future Internet” until 1999
1995 – 1997 Scientific researcher at Norwegian Telecom (Telenor) Research Institute at Kjeller, Norway. Head of design at the TeleVR group
1995 – 2001 Leading the experimental electronic art project group of “Norwegian Touring Exhibitions”. Curator of their exhibition DETOX touring Norway and Iceland, 1999 – 2001
1998 Project member of the digital culture group planning the Norwegian Information Technology Centre at Fornebu, Norway
- KORO, National Library, Mo, Rana
- KORO, Høgskolen, Oslo, Norway, 2014
- Oslo Lux 2015, Oslo, Norway, 2015
- Oslo Lux 2013, Oslo, Norway, 2013
- Oslo Lux 2011, Oslo, Norway, 2o11
- DETOX 04, touring Norway and Sweden (Moderna Museet) from 2004 until 2005
- DETOX, touring Norway and Iceland from 1999 – 2001
- KHM @ Art Cologne, Post Digital Tendencies, Cologne, Germany, 2002
- e~on, The Artists House, Oslo, Norway, 1997
- “Stoneproof”, Økomuseum Boarderland, Halden, Norway
- ArcArt 04, Tromsø Kunstforening, 2004
- ArcArt 02, Nord Norsk Kunstmuseum, Tromsø, Norway, 2002
- Mothers of the Nation, collaborative project by Barbar Stahl, Oslo, Norway
- Somatic Sound, Oslo, Norway
- The Ichihara Touch Tales, Holophonic & haptic sound installation. Ichihara Biennial, Ichihara Lakeside Museum, Ichihara, Japan
- SCUM GUN™, Live 3D printing of Open Source Monument,Kulturhuset, Oslo, Norway
- Nasjonalpistolen, a downloadable monument for 3D printing for the 200th anniversary of the Norwegian Constitution
- Somatic Sound, Atelier Nord/Kunstnernes Hus
- Click. Print. Shoot, Galleri 51, Oslo, Norway
- Somatic Sound, Galleri AHO, The School of Architecture and Design, Oslo, Norway
- Sexiatrics, Extravagant Bodies, Zagreb, Croatia
- Voice Catcher, Dramatikkens Hus, Oslo. Produced in cooperation with Dramatikkens Hus and The Arts Council Norway and NOTAM
- Ghost Music, geolocative AR concert for Arts Festival of North Norway (Festspillene i Nord-Norge), Harstad, Norge.In cooperation with The Norwegian Academy of Music, Oslo
- Opera Lux, projection mapping performance at The Norwegian Opera, Oslo. Produced in cooperation with Oslo School of Architecture & Design and The Arts Council Norway
- Sense Memory, Dramatikkens Hus/Podium, Oslo. Produced in cooperation with Dramatikkens Hus and The Arts Council Norway ‘
- Sense Memory, Centre for Design Research/AHO gallery, http://www.designresearch.no/projects/sense-memory/about
- Manneparken, Augmented Reality and applet exhbition for Smartphones. Public art project, available as the ’Manneparken’ layer in the LAYAR applet for iPhone and Android smartphones
- Oslo Lux, Produced in cooperation with The Arts Council Norway
- Psychoplastics II, – invisible sculptures and wearable, haptic bodysuits, Kapelica Gallery, Ljubljana, Slovenia. http://www.kapelica.org/index_en.html#event=552 . Supported by: Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia, Municipality of Ljubljana – Department for Culture and SOU of Ljubljana
- Theatre of the Blind, haptic experience spaces for the Blind, The Norwegian Nationaltheater, Oslo
- Walking the Line, body art performance, SKC center, Beograd, Serbia
- Serpents Tongue, performance with Kate Pendry, SKC center, Beograd, Serbia
- World Ripple II, Touch Me Festival, Zagreb, Croatia
- Artgasm, Touch Me Festival, Zagreb, Croatia http://www.kontejner.org/artgasm-english
- Artgasm, Beton Halla, Beograd, Serbia
- Chador Touch; World Ripple II , Bagh-e-Tehran Park, Tehran, Iran
- Invisible Sculptures: World Ripple II, The Association of Norwegian Sculptors, Oslo, Norway
- Sexiatrics, Ecstatic Bodies, Gallery 13 Kubikova, Bratislava, Slovakia (13m3.sk/)
- Solve et Coagula touch suit, Spiel mit Technik, Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin
- S.U.F.I. (Suicide Fashion) II , Touch Me festival, Zagreb, Croatia
- Post Digital Lunch, Dutch Electronic Art Festival (DEAF), V2, Rotterdam, Holland
- Inter_Skin II, The Nova Gallery, Zagreb, Croatia
- Erotogod 3.5 at Dutch Electronic Art Festival, V2, Rotterdam, Holland
- Erotogod, Atelier Nord, Oslo, Norway
- Suicide Fashion II, Break 21, Dead or Alive @ Kapelica, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Stunt Club, Kunstnernes Hus, Oslo, Norway
- Tactile technology, cyberSM, Deutsches Hygiene-Museum, Dresden, Germany
- Erotogod, Henie Onstad Art Museum + Ultima, Norway
- Bodysuits, Kunst Haus Dresden, Dresden, German
- “Sex, Von Wissen und Wünschen”, Deutsches Hygiene-Museum, Dresden, Germany
- d-Fusion, Finlandia Hall, Helsinki, Finland with OCEAN
- The Leap, The Norwegian Nationaltheater, Oslo. The Ibsen Festival 2000
- “Stoneproof“, Økomuseum Boarderland, Halden, Norway
- “Wie man sieht”, Museum Ludwig, Köln
- Kapelica Gallery, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 6.th International Computer Arts Festival in Maribor, Slovenia
- FineArt forum Gallery, Feature Artist May
- The Leap, Kunstnernes Hus, Oslo Norway
- Ars Electronica, Linz, Austria
- 5th international biennial, Istanbul, Turkey
- e~on, Kunstnernes Hus, Oslo, Norway
- C3, center for culture and communication, Budapest, Hungary
- DEAF, Dutch Electronic Art Festival, Rotterdam, Holland
- Electra, Henie Onstad Kunstsenter, Norway
- Fokus ’96, St. Croix, Fredrikstad, Norway
- Blast III, New York & Kunstverein Köln, Germany
- mem_brane for Art Cologne, Germany
- Millenium, Kassel, Germany
- Du + You, Gallerie Schipper – Krome, Cologne, Germany
- ISEA, invited artist, show at the Finnish Museum of Contemporary Arts and at the MUU gallery, Helsinki, Finland
- Art Cologne, represented by Schipper – Krome Gallerie,Germany
- INBETWEEN, participation in the work at the Turkish pavilion, Venezia Biennial, Italiy
- KHM at Art Cologne, Cologne, Germany
- Voyages Virtuell, Paris, France
- DuKunst, Iserlohn, Germany
- The Exhibition, ACC Haus, Art Cologne, Cologne, Germany
- The View of the Future, Graz, Austria
- UKS, Oslo, Norway
- Babel, International seminar and experimental artistic workshop on Arts and Media, organized by UNESCO
TEXTS AND ARTICLES
- Performing the Body and Space with Somatic Sound. Stenslie S. (2015). Published in Proceedings of the 21st International Symposium of Electronic Art, ISEA2015. Vancouver, Canada.
- Stitchies: towards telehaptic performativity. Cuartielles, D., Göransson, A., Olsson, T., Stenslie, S. (2014). Published in Proceedings of TEI ’14, the 8th International conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction. NY, USA: ACM.
- Cybersex. Stenslie, S. (2014). Chapter in The Oxford Handbook of Virtuality, Edited by Mark Grimshaw, USA: OUP USA Oxford Handbooks in Music.
- The Aesthetic Experience of Virtual Touch. Stenslie, S. (2014). Paper at Aesthetic Experience and Somaesthetics, conference, Budapest.
- Cloudy Somatics and Haptic Imagery. Stenslie, S. (2014). Paper at Cloud and Molecular aesthetics – The Third International Conference on Transdisciplinary Imaging at the Intersections of Art, Science and Culture, Istanbul.
- Telehaptic Awareness. Cuartielles, D., Göransson, A., Olsson, T., Stenslie, S. (2013). Paper at ACM TEI ’13. Barcelona, Spain.
- Virtual Touch. Stenslie, S. (2013). Conference Paper, appeared in Proceedings of the 19th International Symposium of Electronic Art, ISEA2013. Sydney, Australia: ISEA International, Australian Network for Art & Technology, University of Sydney.
- Haptic Technology. Stenslie, S. (2013). Paper at The Body and Technology: Instruments of Somaesthetics conference at Florida Atlantic University, USA.
- Towards Telehaptic Performativity. Stenslie, S. (2013). Paper at Remote Encounters: Connecting Bodies, Collapsing Spaces and Temporal Ubiquity in Networked Performance conference. Cardiff School of Creative & Cultural Industries, University of Glamorgan, Wales, UK.
- Mobile Beauty – hedonic interfaces on the go. Stenslie, S. (2013). Paper at Fascinate, Conference, Falmouth University, UK.
- Panahaptic Communication. Stenslie, S. (2013). Paper at Slovenian Society of Aesthetics, 41st International Conference Space and Aesthetics at Cultural Center of European Space Technologies (KSEVT), Slovenia.
- From Virtual to Rock Solid Art. Stenslie, S. (2013). Paper at Techno Ecologies conference, RENEW, Riga, Latvia.
- Innovation in Extreme Scenarios. Stenslie, S., Debackere, B., Kasprzak, M., Friberg, C., Sabra, J., Eggertsen, A., Krpan, J., Jochum, E. (2013). Aalborg, Denmark.
- Engendering Tactility Through Haptic Bodysuits. Stenslie, S. (2012). Paper at The Somatics and Technology conference. Chichester, UK.
- Mobile Haptic Technology Development through Artistic Exploration. Cuartielles, D., Göransson, A., Olsson, T., Stenslie, S. (2012). Full paper in: Magnusson, C., Szymczak, D., Brewster, S. (2012). Haptic and Audio Interaction Design. 7thInternational Conference. HAID 2012, Lund Sweden. Springer LNCS 7468.
- TECHNOLOGICAL MASHUPS – building HiFi wearables . Stenslie, S., Gøransson, A., Olsson, T., Cuartilles, D. (2012). In Re‐new / IMAC 2011 Proceedings, edited by Morten Søndergaard. Aalborg, Denmark: Aalborg University Press. Open access publication. ISBN: 978‐87‐7112‐037‐0
- Developing Visual Editors for High-Resolution Haptic Patterns. Cuartielles, D., Göransson, A., Olsson, T., Stenslie, S. (2012). Short paper at Haptic and Audio Interaction Design. 7th International Conference. HAID 2012, Lund, Sweden.
- Virtual Touch. Stenslie, S. (2010). PhD, Oslo School of Architecture and Design, Oslo, Norway.
- Art in the Flesh. Stenslie, S. (2010). Curatorial Perspectives on the Body, Science and Technology, KONTEJNER.
- Hedonistic Technologies. Stenslie, S. (2009). Paper at the Nordes Conference, 2009.
- Immersive Virtual Environments and Multisensory Interfaces. Stenslie, S. (2009). Senses & Society, Volume 4, issue 2, Berg Publishers.
- Symbiotic Interactivity in Multisensory Environments. Stenslie, S. (2006). in Ascott, Roy Engineering nature: art & consciousness in the post-biological era. Intellect Books.
- Towards an aesthetics of pain. Stenslie, S. (2003). Ten Years of Pain by Håvve Fjell. Hertervig Forlag, Norway.
- Caiia (Center for advanced inquiry into the arts) Proceedings (1997 and 2003).
- Terminal Sex. Stenslie, S. (2000). in Ars Electronica ‘Next Sex1 Catalogue.
- …und Er würfelt doch! H. Müller-Krumbhaar, H. F. Wagner (ed.), Wiley-VCH (2000). Berlin, Germany.
- Kurators statement til DETOX. Stenslie, S. (1999).
- Kunstens tapte autoritet. Stenslie, S. (1998).
- Interaktivitet i Virtuelle Virkeligheter. Stenslie, S. (1999).
LECTURES AND PRESENTATIONS
- Interface Cultures Seminar: Post Post, A panel with Christa Sommerer (AT), Laurent Mignonneau (AT/FR), Stahl Stenslie (DK), Herlander Elias (PT), Ryszard W. Kluszczyński (PL), Machiko Kusahara (JP), Erkki Huhtamo (FI/US)
Dai Xiaorong (CN)
- Pain, Art and Communication. A panel with Stahl Stenslie, Christa Sommerer & Laurent Mignonneau, Diane Gromala, Stelarc. ISEA2015: The 21st International Symposium on Electronic Art, Vancouver, Canada.
- Performing the Body and Space with Somatic Sound. Demo presentation and conference proceedings. ISEA2015: The 21st International Symposium on Electronic Art, Vancouver, Canada.
- Educational Institution presentation of Art & Technology. At ISEA2015: The 21st International Symposium on Electronic Art, Vancouver, Canada.
- Orgasmic Art. 2nd Ekphrasis Conference in Cinema and Visual Culture. Babeș-Bolyai University, Faculty of Theater and Television, Department of Cinema and Media, Cluj, Romania, 2015.
- Mobile Haptic Technology Development through Artistic Exploration. HAID 2012 – Haptic and Audio Interaction Design, 7th International Conference, University of Lund, Sweden
- Haptic Technology. Presentation @ The Body and Technology: Instruments of Somaesthetics conference at Florida Atlantic University, USA, 2013
- Towards Telehaptic Performaivity. Paper presentation and performance @ Remote Encounters: Connecting Bodies, Collapsing Spaces and Temporal Ubiquity in Networked Performance conference. Cardiff School of Creative & Cultural Industries, University of Glamorgan, Wales, 2013
- Mobile Beauty – hedonic interfaces on the go. Paper presentation and practical demonstration @ Fascinate, conference Falmouth University, UK, 2013
- Virtual Touch. Demonstration @ International Symposium of Electronic Arts (ISEA) Sidney, Australia, 2013
- Panhaptic Communication. presentation @ Slovenian Society of Aesthetics, 41st International Conference Space and Aesthetics @ Cultural Center of European Space Technologies (KSEVT), Slovenia, 2013
- From Virtual To Rock Solid Art. ID ART. Presentation @ Techno Ecologies conference, RENEW, Riga, 2013
- Stichies: Towards Telehaptic Performativity. Project presentation and conference proceedings @ TEI ‘14, Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction, München, 2014.06.17
- The Un_Programmable Body Presentation at DEAF 2014 (Dutch Electronic Art Festival), Rotterdam, Holland
- The Aesthetic Experience Of Virtual Touch. Presentation @ Aesthetic Experience and Somaesthetics, conference, Budapest 2014
- Cloudy Somatics and Haptic Imagery. Presentation @ Cloud and Molecular aesthetics – The Third International Conference on Transdisciplinary Imaging at the Intersections of Art, Science and Culture, Istanbul 2014
- Good Research, Crap art. Sensuous Knowledge Conference, Bergen, 2008
- Virtual Learning Environments, Dublin Institute of Technology, 2007
- Ars Electronica 2000, The Next Sex Symposium
- ISEA (International Symposum on Electronic Arts) 2004, Tallin, Estonia
- Developing Interactive Narrative Content, SAGA, München, Germany, 2004
- SIGGRAPH ’98, emerging technologies, Orlando, US
- V. Fluesser Tagung, Akademie z. 3. Jahrtausend, München, Germany
- Transmediale 2000, Berlin
- Dig_in_Time, Pärnu, Estonia, 2000
- VIPER ’99, Lucerne, Switzerland
- Hochschule der Künste, ’98, Berlin, Germany
- Phantom Bodies, 1999 V2, Rotterdam, Holland
- Ultima ’99, Oslo, Norway
- Ultima ’98, Philosopical Symposium, Oslo, Norway
- Momentum ’98, Moss, Norwegen
- Leibesvisitationen, Nürnberg, Germany
- Consciousness Reframed, Caiia, Wales
- Digital Dive, DEAF ’96, Rotterdam, Holland
- Millenium, Kassel, Germany
- UKS, Oslo, Norway (Young Artists Society)
- The Man & Machine Symposium, Charleroi, Belgium
- The IV International Symposium of Electronic Arts (ISEA), Helsinki, Finland
- Posterpresentation at the University of Warwick, Warwick, England
- Posterpresentation at VRO (Virtual Reality Oslo), Oslo, Norway
- Ars Erotica, Mousonturm, Frankfurt, Germany
- Mondo Virtuale, Roma, Italy
- Art & Technology, Aalborg University, Denmark, 2012 – current
- Oslo School of Architecture and Design, Interactive spaces and environments and Tangible Interactions, 2010 – current
- Guest Professor at The University of Arts, Belgrade, Serbia, 2008
- Guest Professor at The Academy of Fine Arts and Design Bratislava, Slovakia, 2008
- Professor at The Oslo National Academy of Art, Oslo, 2007 -2010
- Professor at The Academy of Media Art, Cologne, Germany, 2001 – 2005
- Norwegian Technical University (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway – student counseling
- Oslo School of Architecture and Design, lectures, 2002 -2009
- Fachhochschule, Potsdam, Berlin, Germany – lectures
- Akademie Remscheid, Remscheid, Germany – lectures
- Hochschule für Gestaltung (Bauhaus), Weimar – lectures
- Media II (EU), Filmhochschule, München – lectures
- The National Academy of Arts, Bergen, Norway – lecture
- E3 Films, EU project, 2008
- Ars Electronica, Interactive Art, 2003
- Netzspannung, 2003
- 20 under 40, Norwegian Architectural Museum, 2003
- Tegnerbiennalen 2004 (Biennal of Drawing, Norway)
- 6th Cyberconf, 1997
- various juries at the Oslo National Academy of the Arts (KHiO.no) , The Academy of Media Arts, Cologne, Germany (KHM.de) etc.
- RE-New, 2013
- ELIA, 2006 – 2008
- TEI, 2014
- German review of Hamburg Art Academy
- Austrian science committee
- 3D: SoftImage, 3D Studio, Eddie, T-Morph, Wavefront, Inventor, Swivel 3D, the VPL VR software, StrataVision
- 3D Scanning: CyberWare soft- & hardware
- 2D: Photoshop, Morph™, Elastic Reality, PageMaker, Quark Express, Freehand, etc.
- Interactive Applications: Hypercard, Macromedia Director
- Programming: Hypertalk, Lingo, C, UNIX, Open GL
- Network: HTTP, WWW, IP and ISDN: various network projects established.
- Photography: Professional analogue B&W experience, Digital production and retouching, Underwater photography.
- Video/Film: 16 mm, Betacam, DV and HD production
- Editing: Avid, Sony 900 and 9000 BVE, FAST videomachine, Adobe Premiere, After Effects
- Irrton Festival ´94, Berlin, Germany
- MTV, News screenings
- Coca, Seattle, USA
- MIXBILD, Schipper – Krome Galley, Köln, Germany
- The Norwegian Short Film Festival ´93, Grimstad, Norway
- New Edge: The I-Ritual, Amsterdam, Holland
- Millenium, Kassel, Germany
- Inter_Skin, Künstlerhaus Mousonturm, Frankfurt, Germany
- Jam Store, Köln, Germany
- Voyages Virtuell, Paris, France
- Mondo Virtuale, Roma, Italia
- Tempel, München, Germany
- ISEA, Helsinki, Finland
- Alternative Reality, Oslo, Norway
- CyberCity, Roma, Italia
TV SHOWS / SPECIAL COVERAGE
- MTV, England
- Spiegel TV, VOX
- Liebe Sünde, VOX
- Biolek, WDR
- Aspekte, ZDF
- Live aus Alabahma, Bayerische Rundfunk
- Pro 7 (div. Sendungen)
- Sat 1(div. Sendungen)
- Arabella, german talkshow
- Eurotrash, Channel Four, England
- WiSo, ZDF + andere Sendungen
- NRK I + NRK II, Norway. Feature “Visjoner og Ilusjoner”, 2000
- TV Slovenia
- various shows in USA, Switzerland, Holland, France, Italy…
PRESS COVERAGE – SPECIAL REPORTS
- Intelligent Agent, issue 8,1996
- Mute, issue 7, winter 11997, England
- Stern, Germany
- Prinz, Germany
- Spiegel Wissen, Special, Germany
- Focus, Germany
- Kunstforum International
- Pravda, Russia
- Details, USA
- Z, Sweden
- Virtual, Italia
- VSD, France
- KING, Italy
- Globe, France
- BEAT, Norway
- Actuél, France
- Morgenbladet, Norway, 1998
- Liberátion, France
- 90 (Ninties), Sweden
- Het Paarol, Netherlands
- News, Austria +++